Benefits of sharing information
It is important for the NHS to share information about the health needs of the population and the quality of the treatments they receive. By sharing information in this way, researchers can identify patterns in disease and the most effective treatments. We can also:
- find more effective ways of preventing or managing illnesses;
- advise local decision makers how best to meet the needs of local communities;
- promote public health by monitoring risks of disease spread
- map out pathways of care to streamline inefficiencies and reduce waiting times
- determine how to use NHS resources most fairly and efficiently.
For more information, please read the patient information leaflet